Books:
1. Fever Pitch - Nick Hornby
This is the second time I have read this. I love all Nick Hornby but I especially like his non-fiction and criticism.
I think I met Nick Hornby once. I was on a London bus with my wife, two children and about one hundred and fifty pounds of luggage. (No joke we were moving to Wales.) I was really scared that I wouldn't be able to find the stop for Stoke Newington. A kind man with a shaved head told me it was a little ways away but don't worry, you haven't missed it. Every three minutes I'd ask again If I'd missed it. Finally he said, "I'll let you know where it is." And sure enough, he did. So thanks Mr. Hornby.
Oh yeah, the reason I thought it was Nick Hornby is because he lives near Stoke Newington and a year later when I saw him give a reading, he looked and sounded like the kind man with the shaved head. I wished I'd have known it was him so I could thank him for The Polysyllabic Spree.
Since the book is about an obsessive soccer fan, it hit a chord. I'm an obsessive movie watcher. Always have been. My earliest memory is in a theater watching R2D2 get zapped by Jawas. Many is the night that I sit in bed while my wife wants to talk about the welfare of the children and I can't concentrate because I am mentally going through the movie release dates for the next nine weeks and listing the movies I have to see - sort of want to see and don't want to see at all.
When I was about ten, both Teen Wolf and Back to the Future came out about the same time. I was already a huge Michael J. Fox fan because of Family Ties, but these two movies shot me into ultimate obsession. I made myself a Michael J. Fox scrapbook that consisted of the newspaper ad for the two movies glued into a spiral notebook. Page after page of either Michael J. Fox either checking his watch next to a flaming tire track or standing there with wolf chest hair coming out of his shirt.
I can't find the notebook now. No doubt my mother (who normally saves everything) stumbled upon it and recognizing it as the work of someone dangerously unhinged, the work of someone who would no doubt be disappointed with Michael J. Fox (perhaps when the Keatons go to England) and seek revenge. (What other conclusion could one come to?) I'm sure she threw it away and I'm glad.
Very wise.
2. Hog Pilots, Blue Water Grunts: The American Military in the Air, at Sea, and on the Ground - Robert D. Kaplan
I highly recommend this book. I learned a lot. For anyone who has any opinion about the armed services. Very informative.
Movies:
1. Hudsucker Proxy
Even the Coen Brother movies I only sort of like - I really, really like. Perhaps even love. (I'd seen it before.)
2. Hold that Ghost
Abbot and Costello (I'd seen it before.)
3. The Wistful Widow of Wagon's Gap
Abbot and Costello. (I'd seen it before.)
4. Here Come the Co-eds
Abbot and Costello. When I was a kid I was frightened that I would die before seeing every Abbot and Costello movie. I can now scratch this one off my list. (As an adult, I'm scared I will die the moment I see all of their movies. I refuse to watch Little Giant.)
TV:
1. King of the Hill
Meh.
2. Sarah Silverman Program
Meh.
3. Southpark
Meh.
4. The Office
Meh. (I think the problem was with me this week since everything I watched kind of bored me.)
5. Pushing Dasies
I don't know if I can watch this one anymore. It is too much. I'd love it if it was only a half an hour but about twenty five minutes into it I get feeling a little . . . I don't know . . . like I've just eaten a plate full of powdered sugar.
6. Freaks and Geeks season opener.
Work of art. Not many perfect tv shows, but this is a perfect show. I will no doubt be writing about this show many times on this site.
Monday, 15 October 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Do you own Freaks and Geeks? Have you seen all of the extras? They are hilarious. I love, love, love this show.
Oh, and what did you think of Pushing Daisies last night (10/17)? I liked it better than last weeks - but I was also in the process of putting children to bed when I saw it, so perhaps it was only about 30 minutes that I saw. I really liked the sword fight.
I don't own the TV show. I bought it right before going to Wales and ended up giving it as a wedding gift. But yes, I've seen all of the extras and listened to all of the commentaries. (Sweet Jane are the commentaries funny.)
I really liked Pushing Daisies last night. It was my favorite so far. Some good funny stuff. I liked everything but the sword fight. I wanted more choreography (sp?). It looked like the director told them to just wave the swords at each other and he'd edit close ups of their faces in order to look like a fight.
But I think I might have been asking too much. It certainly was a good show.
burberry outlet, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, burberry outlet, coach outlet store online, christian louboutin, louis vuitton outlet stores, tory burch outlet, louboutin shoes, longchamp outlet, air max, coach purses, polo ralph lauren, oakley sunglasses cheap, louis vuitton handbags, nike free, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, coach factory outlet, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, air max, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, true religion jeans, tiffany and co, chanel handbags, tiffany and co, longchamp handbags, michael kors outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, kate spade outlet, louboutin outlet, louboutin, true religion jeans, coach outlet, kate spade handbags, michael kors outlet online sale, louis vuitton outlet, jordan shoes, nike shoes, longchamp handbags, louis vuitton, gucci outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet
ugg boots, ugg boots, north face outlet, nfl jerseys, uggs, canada goose, p90x, mont blanc, ugg, ghd, lululemon outlet, soccer shoes, birkin bag, ugg pas cher, ugg boots clearance, marc jacobs, chi flat iron, babyliss pro, giuseppe zanotti, canada goose jackets, canada goose outlet, canada goose uk, beats by dre, herve leger, north face jackets, ugg australia, nike roshe run, valentino shoes, mac cosmetics, vans shoes, ferragamo shoes, reebok outlet, wedding dresses, uggs outlet, jimmy choo outlet, rolex watches, insanity workout, new balance shoes, mcm handbags, abercrombie and fitch, asics running shoes, instyler, canada goose, celine handbags, canada goose, soccer jerseys, bottega veneta
louboutin, converse shoes, ralph lauren, thomas sabo, pandora charms, moncler, rolex watches, pandora charms, louis vuitton, canada goose, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, air max, parajumpers, ugg, juicy couture outlet, links of london, ray ban, montre homme, timberland boots, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, moncler outlet, ugg, converse, canada goose, moncler, hollister, hollister, supra shoes, pandora jewelry, oakley, swarovski crystal, baseball bats, karen millen, iphone 6 cases, moncler, hollister clothing store, air max, gucci, swarovski, moncler, vans, toms shoes, lancel
Post a Comment