Tuesday, 3 March 2009

The Bible and stuff

1. Excellent and interesting article about why everyone should read the Bible, cover to cover. I'm going to pick up his book, sounds funny and informative.
http://www.slate.com/id/2212616/

2. Our first batch of winter visitors have gone home. I can feel a difference in the library. A smidgen less busy.

3. I walked to work at 6am. The sun wasn't up but it was too hot. This doesn't bode well.

4. The Book Expo of America will be in New York City till 2012. I'm a little disappointed because it was originally scheduled in Washington DC 2010 (I could stay with my brother) and Las Vegas 2011 ( I could drive there.)

5. I've been made the cub master for my son's Tiger Cub. From what I gather it is a ceremonial position. Once a month I hand out belt loops and badges. I ask people to give a watermelon applause. That sort of thing.

15 comments:

Jacks said...

Does that mean that you have to make the kids drink blood, and hang them upside down to put their pin on...when they earn a pin? That's what I remember about scouts.

Jacks said...

Oh, and I didn't like Little Children. I kind of wish I hadn't seen it. But I still really like Kate Winslet.

Judy Tan said...

Instead of picking up his book, why don't you pick up the Bible. It's about time you found religion. I'm with Jackie on the cub scout thing. Why start 'em early in Tiger Cubs. It just equates to more years of therapy. Chandler HATED that watermelon clap........and all of the other claps now that I think about it. Cubs should stick with pinewood derby and cub camp. OOOOO I bet cub camp is hot in Yuma. It was torture in Dallas. I went all week for two years. My favorite part was when the fire department came to hose down the boys.

Unknown said...

That stinks, it would have been great to have you out here next year.

Bryan Summers said...

Jackie - They very seriously told me that under no circumstance were we to hang the boys upside. No doubt something bad happened at some point. I should have asked. They didn't mention the blood thing though.

I really like Kate Winslet also. And yeah, I could have done without seeing Little Children.

Judy - Oh no, Chandler hated the watermelon clap? That's my only idea for pack meetings.

And since I'm cub master I'm going to put a moritorium on cub camp.

I didn't want to mention it in the blog in case any of the parents read or will read this but there was nearly a fist fight at the parents meeting last night.

Bryan Summers said...

Kyle - I know. I was really disappointed. Luckily ALA conference will be in Washington DC sometime in the next couple of years. I'm going to try to go to that. That's the one I went to the last time I stayed with you and got a ton of free books.

Unknown said...

Yeah, I definitely hope you come out. We live a lot closer to DC now and we have a pretty big sized house. So this time you will have the luxury of your own room.

Jacks said...

I want to hear more about the fist fight. Details, please?

Bryan Summers said...

The leader of the bear cubs was mad that we didn't have a blue and gold dinner, so they just went ahead and did it.

The co-ordinator at one point shouted at her, don't talk like I'm not in the room.

She stood up and said, "I'm saying it now, while you are in the room."

The professional scouter chilled every body out.

I just buried my head and wished I wasn't den leader.

Jacks said...

That's an awesome story! I LOVE it! Kind of dirt I crave.

YOU SAW DEAR ZACHARY! Didn't it just crush you? Wasn't it amazing? Oh - I wish I could just talk your head off about it.

Bryan Summers said...

Yes, it was a wonderful movie and I don't know if I could watch it ever again. It was too raw.

I absolutely fell in love with Zachary. What a beautiful and cute baby. I fell in love with his father and his grandparents also. And almost everybody in the community that helped them. It really was an amazing movie.

Jacks said...

Yeah - amazing story. And amazing that the guy doing the documentary just kind of fell upon it. Those are the best docs - the ones where the director discovers so much more to his original idea.

I have Dear Zachary on the DVR, and can't bring myself to erase it. I wan't to watch it again just to examine the editing and how it was put together - but I don't know if I can watch it again.

oakleyses said...

burberry outlet, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, burberry outlet, coach outlet store online, christian louboutin, louis vuitton outlet stores, tory burch outlet, louboutin shoes, longchamp outlet, air max, coach purses, polo ralph lauren, oakley sunglasses cheap, louis vuitton handbags, nike free, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, coach factory outlet, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, air max, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, true religion jeans, tiffany and co, chanel handbags, tiffany and co, longchamp handbags, michael kors outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, kate spade outlet, louboutin outlet, louboutin, true religion jeans, coach outlet, kate spade handbags, michael kors outlet online sale, louis vuitton outlet, jordan shoes, nike shoes, longchamp handbags, louis vuitton, gucci outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet

oakleyses said...

ugg boots, ugg boots, north face outlet, nfl jerseys, uggs, canada goose, p90x, mont blanc, ugg, ghd, lululemon outlet, soccer shoes, birkin bag, ugg pas cher, ugg boots clearance, marc jacobs, chi flat iron, babyliss pro, giuseppe zanotti, canada goose jackets, canada goose outlet, canada goose uk, beats by dre, herve leger, north face jackets, ugg australia, nike roshe run, valentino shoes, mac cosmetics, vans shoes, ferragamo shoes, reebok outlet, wedding dresses, uggs outlet, jimmy choo outlet, rolex watches, insanity workout, new balance shoes, mcm handbags, abercrombie and fitch, asics running shoes, instyler, canada goose, celine handbags, canada goose, soccer jerseys, bottega veneta

oakleyses said...

louboutin, converse shoes, ralph lauren, thomas sabo, pandora charms, moncler, rolex watches, pandora charms, louis vuitton, canada goose, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, air max, parajumpers, ugg, juicy couture outlet, links of london, ray ban, montre homme, timberland boots, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, moncler outlet, ugg, converse, canada goose, moncler, hollister, hollister, supra shoes, pandora jewelry, oakley, swarovski crystal, baseball bats, karen millen, iphone 6 cases, moncler, hollister clothing store, air max, gucci, swarovski, moncler, vans, toms shoes, lancel