Wednesday, 3 June 2009

Friday in New York

1. I look like Screech from Saved by the Bell. That is my cross to bear. Not unbearable but if I had my druthers I'd rather look like Zach or the guy with the mullet. Or even Jesse, I suppose. More on that later.

2. Stopped at a nice breakfast restaurant and had a steaming cup of cream of wheat. Temperature 68 degrees. (Weather, not my breakfast which burnt my tongue.)

3. The conference itself seemed very crowded. I heard it was much smaller than last year, but it didn't feel like it.

4. People see my name tag, which says I'm from Yuma, Arizona, and ask if I'm glad to be out of the heat. Each time I say yes and laugh a little too loudly. Each time they look a little uncomfortable.

5. When Neil Gaiman signed his new children's book, I said, "Thank you so much" in a very earnest way. I wasn't just thanking him for the children's book (Crazy Hair. Very funny.) I was thanking him for American Gods, Anansi Boy, Sandman, The Graveyard Book and the new Coraline movie. He said, "You are so very welcome." I know this isn't an interesting story but it was one of the highlights of my trip.

6. Stood in line for Scott Westerfield's new book with a young, hip twentysomething lady, talked a lot about Neil Gaiman and other things. She was wearing a hot pink baseball cap. Listen to me 13 year olds, get on the ground floor, start wearing 80's fashion. I think it will be the next big thing.

7. At 5 I walked to 42nd street. A guy selling tickets to a comedy show. 40 dollars, but he could get them to me for 20. Starring Dustin Diamond who played Screech on Saved by the Bell. No thanks, I said.

8. Bought tickets for 39 Steps, I had three hours to wait till it started. Another guy on the corner shouting out that he had tickets to Screech, pointed to me and said, "Hey you look like . . ."
"Dustin Diamond?" I said.
"Yeah," he said. "That's funny. You should totally buy tickets." But I have a rule to never buy anything from a salesman who tells me I look like Screech.

9. Since I had a couple of hours I took in a screening of Drag Me to Hell. Awesome. I don't want to brag, but I really called it, don't you think? . . . You all saw it, right?

10. When I left the theater a big black man looked at me. I smiled. He looked at me again as if he knew me, pointed, and then waved me over. "Hey are you Screech?"
"No," I said.
"You look just like him."
"I've been told."
"He's playing here tonight."
"I heard that."
He paused and said, "I don't think you should go to it. People will probably harass you."
"That's probably true. I'll skip it."

11. 39 Steps was good. Really good. Not amazing good but a fun time. A little too long and the teenagers beside me laughed a little too loud. (What are they on vacation from Yuma?) Perhaps a full review in a few days.

12. Went to the hotel and watched the Spenser Tracey version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Very disturbing for a movie from 1941.

7 comments:

The Hillbilly Banjo Queen: said...

Hahahaha! Screech, I mean, Bryan...you don't look anything like Bryan. I mean Screech! You don't look anything like Screech!

All kidding aside, you really don't look like Screech. At least, not to me. Sounds like it would be creepy to be well known.

You crack me up.

Bryan Summers said...

Thanks Heather. I'm relieved to hear that. I don't feel like I look like Screech. I feel like I look like an older bearded Zac Ephron but nobody has mentioned that.

Bryan Summers said...

Oh and by the way. I know you've read Living Biblically. I got the galley of that authors next book The Guinea Pig Diaries. I've already read it. Very funny. His best book.

The Hillbilly Banjo Queen: said...

Don't sweat the Zac Ephron thing. People just aren't looking at you from the correct angle. Maybe your glasses throw them off.

I look forward to The Guinea Pig Diaries. When does it come out? What in the heck is it about? It cannot be about guinea pigs....can it?

Bryan Summers said...

It comes out sometime in the fall. I'd let you know the exact date but Melissa has it at the hospital. It is about a bunch of experiments he made on himself. Saying everything that is on his mind for a month. Doing everything his wife tells him to for a month, that sort of thing.

oakleyses said...

ugg boots, ugg boots, north face outlet, nfl jerseys, uggs, canada goose, p90x, mont blanc, ugg, ghd, lululemon outlet, soccer shoes, birkin bag, ugg pas cher, ugg boots clearance, marc jacobs, chi flat iron, babyliss pro, giuseppe zanotti, canada goose jackets, canada goose outlet, canada goose uk, beats by dre, herve leger, north face jackets, ugg australia, nike roshe run, valentino shoes, mac cosmetics, vans shoes, ferragamo shoes, reebok outlet, wedding dresses, uggs outlet, jimmy choo outlet, rolex watches, insanity workout, new balance shoes, mcm handbags, abercrombie and fitch, asics running shoes, instyler, canada goose, celine handbags, canada goose, soccer jerseys, bottega veneta

oakleyses said...

louboutin, converse shoes, ralph lauren, thomas sabo, pandora charms, moncler, rolex watches, pandora charms, louis vuitton, canada goose, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, air max, parajumpers, ugg, juicy couture outlet, links of london, ray ban, montre homme, timberland boots, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, moncler outlet, ugg, converse, canada goose, moncler, hollister, hollister, supra shoes, pandora jewelry, oakley, swarovski crystal, baseball bats, karen millen, iphone 6 cases, moncler, hollister clothing store, air max, gucci, swarovski, moncler, vans, toms shoes, lancel