Deborah came up to me with the birthday card her grandparents sent to her. I'd already read the card which said in red pencil,
Dear Deborah,
Happy 4th Birthday.
Love Grma & Grndpa
She asked if I wanted her to read it to me. I said, sure.
She said, very solemnly,
Dear Deborah,
Ha! Ha! Ha!
You can't go to school.
Love Grma & Grndpa
I don't know which I find more funny, that she thinks it's within the realm of possibility that Grma and Grndpa would write a letter simply to tell her she can't go to school. She didn't' appear to be joking.* Even though she knew the letter didn't say that, since Melissa had already read it to her, it appears she thought I might believe it.
Or that her grandparents would write out Ha! Ha! Ha! first. Probably the three 'Ha's'. There is something so wonderfully malicious about them.
For the record, her Grandparents are wonderful and they would never send a letter like that to a 4 year old child. And the letters they've sent to me and Melissa have been quite constructive in tone and rarely mocking. For instance, we got a letter on my birthday that said:
Dear Melissa and Bryan
Ha! Ha! Ha!
You can't afford to go to San Diego this month.
Love Mom and Dad
Which I took as a letter of encouragement to keep paying off the student loans. The laughter was a sympathetic, been-there, done-that sort of laughter.
*Deborah's jokes usually end with something like, "And then the refrigerator falls on your head" or "and then the bees land on your head" apropos of nothing. If there is a connection between her set-up and her punch-line, I've yet to discern it. (And yet her jokes still make me laugh. I suspect she's a comic genius.)
Friday, 16 October 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Aren't 4-year-olds fun? It sounds like your Deborah would get on really well with my Kyleen and Tamsen. They would have so much fun together. Congratulations on the new little one!
Cheryn Conklin Hunter
4-year-olds are the best.
Good to hear from you. I've always wondered how you and Brandon are doing.
I wish someone would send me a card that said:
Ha! Ha! Ha! You don't have to get out of bed this morning until you want to. P.S. you can eat all the chocolate you want with no repercussions.
And that it would be true. Sometimes I wish I was 4 again. Thanks for the laugh.
Very fun read! Miss you guys!
burberry outlet, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, burberry outlet, coach outlet store online, christian louboutin, louis vuitton outlet stores, tory burch outlet, louboutin shoes, longchamp outlet, air max, coach purses, polo ralph lauren, oakley sunglasses cheap, louis vuitton handbags, nike free, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, coach factory outlet, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, air max, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, true religion jeans, tiffany and co, chanel handbags, tiffany and co, longchamp handbags, michael kors outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, kate spade outlet, louboutin outlet, louboutin, true religion jeans, coach outlet, kate spade handbags, michael kors outlet online sale, louis vuitton outlet, jordan shoes, nike shoes, longchamp handbags, louis vuitton, gucci outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet
ugg boots, ugg boots, north face outlet, nfl jerseys, uggs, canada goose, p90x, mont blanc, ugg, ghd, lululemon outlet, soccer shoes, birkin bag, ugg pas cher, ugg boots clearance, marc jacobs, chi flat iron, babyliss pro, giuseppe zanotti, canada goose jackets, canada goose outlet, canada goose uk, beats by dre, herve leger, north face jackets, ugg australia, nike roshe run, valentino shoes, mac cosmetics, vans shoes, ferragamo shoes, reebok outlet, wedding dresses, uggs outlet, jimmy choo outlet, rolex watches, insanity workout, new balance shoes, mcm handbags, abercrombie and fitch, asics running shoes, instyler, canada goose, celine handbags, canada goose, soccer jerseys, bottega veneta
Post a Comment