Wednesday, 14 October 2009

It's not a mid-life crisis

I am not going through a mid-life crisis, although I'll forgive you for thinking so. I don't think mid-life crisis' are this mild and this un-life-shattering.

But lately I've wanted to re-evaluate my life, see where I'm going right and see where I'm going wrong. And correct it.

A couple of recent incidences have brought this on.

Last month, a guy I know died in a bicycle accident. He had three children, the youngest barely three months old. He only two years older than me.

It was startling and tragic and not unusual. Accidents happen. But I wonder how often they happen to great men. This guy was probably in the top 10% of people in the world. A contributor to society. And I suppose the top 10% get in 10% of the accidents. And the dregs of society, the bottom 10% probably get in 10% of the accidents. So 80% of the accidents involve people who are not too good and not too bad. And it is tragic and you hate to think of it happening, but it is what it is. But when someone who is, say, 95% good dies in an accident, it feels a bit more shocking.

And it was shocking. I wouldn't call him a friend, but we were friendly. He was an acquaintance that I admired. And he was a universally admired in Yuma. The funeral procession was led by the teen bike club that he helped found.

And of course, it made me consider my life and my wife and children.

Just a few weeks after that, a 35 year old childhood friend was called to be the Bishop of his ward. It was very surprising, non-surprising news. Non-surprising because he is a great, tender guy. The kind of guy you'd want as a bishop.

And yet surprising because I've never thought of Bishops as "great guys." Great Men, yes, but not great guys. Bishops and Great Men are older than me. 'Great Guys' and Elder's Quorum presidents are my age and younger. And when somebody I grew up with goes from Great Guy to Great Man, it means I should at least start thinking about becoming a Great Man myself.

By Great Man I don't mean Bishop. Heaven forbid. I wouldn't wish that on Kim Jong Ill. But I'd like to be a serious, good, kind man.

I know I'm not a horrible person. I won't spend the next few blog posts beating up on myself. But every once in a while I get itching for a mild course correction.

Last time I had one of those, I ended up in Great Britain.

These are the subjects I plan on discussing.

Politics
Family
Religion
Career
Goals

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed reading that. Who was called as Bishop?

Bryan Summers said...

Chris Card. Isn't that cool?

Judy Tan said...

add disney to your list and I'm in for a serious discussion.

Jacks said...

Yeah - cool. As in, I weep a little for his family, cool.

Ben Matz said...

Wild, I didn't know Chris was called to be a bishop. That's interesting that that was one of your wake you up incidents.

You are probably the funniest blogger I read. Thanks for the posts, I really liked the next one about Deborah as well.

oakleyses said...

burberry outlet, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, burberry outlet, coach outlet store online, christian louboutin, louis vuitton outlet stores, tory burch outlet, louboutin shoes, longchamp outlet, air max, coach purses, polo ralph lauren, oakley sunglasses cheap, louis vuitton handbags, nike free, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, coach factory outlet, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, air max, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, true religion jeans, tiffany and co, chanel handbags, tiffany and co, longchamp handbags, michael kors outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, kate spade outlet, louboutin outlet, louboutin, true religion jeans, coach outlet, kate spade handbags, michael kors outlet online sale, louis vuitton outlet, jordan shoes, nike shoes, longchamp handbags, louis vuitton, gucci outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet

oakleyses said...

ugg boots, ugg boots, north face outlet, nfl jerseys, uggs, canada goose, p90x, mont blanc, ugg, ghd, lululemon outlet, soccer shoes, birkin bag, ugg pas cher, ugg boots clearance, marc jacobs, chi flat iron, babyliss pro, giuseppe zanotti, canada goose jackets, canada goose outlet, canada goose uk, beats by dre, herve leger, north face jackets, ugg australia, nike roshe run, valentino shoes, mac cosmetics, vans shoes, ferragamo shoes, reebok outlet, wedding dresses, uggs outlet, jimmy choo outlet, rolex watches, insanity workout, new balance shoes, mcm handbags, abercrombie and fitch, asics running shoes, instyler, canada goose, celine handbags, canada goose, soccer jerseys, bottega veneta

oakleyses said...

louboutin, converse shoes, ralph lauren, thomas sabo, pandora charms, moncler, rolex watches, pandora charms, louis vuitton, canada goose, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, air max, parajumpers, ugg, juicy couture outlet, links of london, ray ban, montre homme, timberland boots, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, moncler outlet, ugg, converse, canada goose, moncler, hollister, hollister, supra shoes, pandora jewelry, oakley, swarovski crystal, baseball bats, karen millen, iphone 6 cases, moncler, hollister clothing store, air max, gucci, swarovski, moncler, vans, toms shoes, lancel