Thursday, 3 March 2011



Near the end, Clive James said we should read books that make us want to deface them. Underline, scribble notes in the margin, etc. This is one of those books. And now thanks to this book I've got a list of fifty or so authors to discover.

Near the end of the book, he demolished a belief I held dear about five years ago. Recently I'd sensed that it was a self serving and shabby belief. I'm in his debt for putting into words why.

The kids liked it. I was glad it was over.

9 comments:

Jacks said...

I just saw Waiting for Superman this past week as well. It made me depressed. I hate the lottery.

So now my interest is piqued. What was the demolished belief? Don't leave us hanging? I want the juice.

Bryan Summers said...

Well it will seem like no big deal but it is about Shakespeare and grammar. And how to write and read and think clearly one needs to understand how the language works.

I used to argue the opposite. That one needed a good ear.

Danilo soares said...

Danilo here, if you need traffic to your blog use http://www.easyhits4u.com/?ref=chandler22bing - thank you (nice blog)

Anonymous said...

Newport Cigarettes

Cheap Newport Cigarettes

Unknown said...

Was fabulous! Was able to be here for the full festival, wonderful workshops and shows in a lovely and passionate town. Ole! Jodhpuri suits for wedding

kaufmangreenbooksandguides said...

Sometimes I read books that make me want to scream or at least write comments in the margins. Sometimes I can also like part of a book and other parts make me scream. Actually not sometimes often.

oakleyses said...

burberry outlet, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, burberry outlet, coach outlet store online, christian louboutin, louis vuitton outlet stores, tory burch outlet, louboutin shoes, longchamp outlet, air max, coach purses, polo ralph lauren, oakley sunglasses cheap, louis vuitton handbags, nike free, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, coach factory outlet, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, air max, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, true religion jeans, tiffany and co, chanel handbags, tiffany and co, longchamp handbags, michael kors outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, kate spade outlet, louboutin outlet, louboutin, true religion jeans, coach outlet, kate spade handbags, michael kors outlet online sale, louis vuitton outlet, jordan shoes, nike shoes, longchamp handbags, louis vuitton, gucci outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet

oakleyses said...

ugg boots, ugg boots, north face outlet, nfl jerseys, uggs, canada goose, p90x, mont blanc, ugg, ghd, lululemon outlet, soccer shoes, birkin bag, ugg pas cher, ugg boots clearance, marc jacobs, chi flat iron, babyliss pro, giuseppe zanotti, canada goose jackets, canada goose outlet, canada goose uk, beats by dre, herve leger, north face jackets, ugg australia, nike roshe run, valentino shoes, mac cosmetics, vans shoes, ferragamo shoes, reebok outlet, wedding dresses, uggs outlet, jimmy choo outlet, rolex watches, insanity workout, new balance shoes, mcm handbags, abercrombie and fitch, asics running shoes, instyler, canada goose, celine handbags, canada goose, soccer jerseys, bottega veneta

oakleyses said...

louboutin, converse shoes, ralph lauren, thomas sabo, pandora charms, moncler, rolex watches, pandora charms, louis vuitton, canada goose, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, air max, parajumpers, ugg, juicy couture outlet, links of london, ray ban, montre homme, timberland boots, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, moncler outlet, ugg, converse, canada goose, moncler, hollister, hollister, supra shoes, pandora jewelry, oakley, swarovski crystal, baseball bats, karen millen, iphone 6 cases, moncler, hollister clothing store, air max, gucci, swarovski, moncler, vans, toms shoes, lancel