My son finished his second day of school today. When I asked him if he made any friends, he paused in thought, and said, "Well, not yet."
My heart broke at the honesty of it. When anyone asks me an equivalent question such as, "So meeting lots of people?" I give a half-true yes when what I really mean is that I talked to one guy who also likes John Carpenter's The Thing and if I see him from now on, perhaps in the hall, I'll say hi, but we aren't bosom buddies or anything.
When someone asks me how my dissertation is doing, I answer pretty good, when what I really mean is that it is kind of shoddy but presentable, I suppose. It certainly won't set the academic world on fire, but maybe the grader won't be bored while reading it.
I've been lying my entire life. When things are going badly or just not great, I always say that they are.
The fact that Eli didn't just give a half-hearted, 'Yeah I've made some friends,' but gave a truthful and hopeful (doesn't the phrase not yet, just, I don't know, make you want to cry?)
I worry more about how he will get along with other children at school than anything else. Not because intellectually I think that is the most important thing in his life, but because of my gut feelings.
I guess the only thing I can do is prepare a loving home for him to come home to.
Friday, 7 September 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
burberry outlet, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, burberry outlet, coach outlet store online, christian louboutin, louis vuitton outlet stores, tory burch outlet, louboutin shoes, longchamp outlet, air max, coach purses, polo ralph lauren, oakley sunglasses cheap, louis vuitton handbags, nike free, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, coach factory outlet, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, air max, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, true religion jeans, tiffany and co, chanel handbags, tiffany and co, longchamp handbags, michael kors outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, kate spade outlet, louboutin outlet, louboutin, true religion jeans, coach outlet, kate spade handbags, michael kors outlet online sale, louis vuitton outlet, jordan shoes, nike shoes, longchamp handbags, louis vuitton, gucci outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet
ugg boots, ugg boots, north face outlet, nfl jerseys, uggs, canada goose, p90x, mont blanc, ugg, ghd, lululemon outlet, soccer shoes, birkin bag, ugg pas cher, ugg boots clearance, marc jacobs, chi flat iron, babyliss pro, giuseppe zanotti, canada goose jackets, canada goose outlet, canada goose uk, beats by dre, herve leger, north face jackets, ugg australia, nike roshe run, valentino shoes, mac cosmetics, vans shoes, ferragamo shoes, reebok outlet, wedding dresses, uggs outlet, jimmy choo outlet, rolex watches, insanity workout, new balance shoes, mcm handbags, abercrombie and fitch, asics running shoes, instyler, canada goose, celine handbags, canada goose, soccer jerseys, bottega veneta
louboutin, converse shoes, ralph lauren, thomas sabo, pandora charms, moncler, rolex watches, pandora charms, louis vuitton, canada goose, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, air max, parajumpers, ugg, juicy couture outlet, links of london, ray ban, montre homme, timberland boots, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, moncler outlet, ugg, converse, canada goose, moncler, hollister, hollister, supra shoes, pandora jewelry, oakley, swarovski crystal, baseball bats, karen millen, iphone 6 cases, moncler, hollister clothing store, air max, gucci, swarovski, moncler, vans, toms shoes, lancel
Post a Comment