I'm no expert at Sleeping in Airports but I fancy myself an informed amateur. So if you plan on sleeping in an airport, here is my advice.
1. Don't sleep in an airport if you can help it. You will not sleep well and you will start (or end) your trip very tired. Don't get me wrong, sleeping in airports is fun. But it's the miserable kind of fun that only feels satisfying because you are saving so much money.
It took me half a day to get to London and I was only traveling because Melissa was nice enough to let me visit places for the weekend. (I'd leave Friday afternoon and get back Sunday night.) So I would leave as late as I could the night before my plane left, usually 5:30 pm, getting into London at 10-12 pm. It was too expensive to get a hotel and too late to stay with relatives.
2. If you must sleep in an airport, bring a book. Don't bring Finnegan's Wake. Bring Nelson Demille. You will be awake more than you are asleep. You want the kind of book that would keep you awake in normal circumstances. Some people bring movies, but I don't know, if I'm tired, I can't concentrate on a movie. And I'm scared I'm going to lose or break the laptop. With a book, as soon as I'm done, I leave it on a bench for the next traveler.
3. Look for a crowd to sleep with. I feel much more secure when I'm sleeping with a bunch of other travelers. When I sleep alone, I'm afraid of cut throats and purse snatchers. Finding a crowd at the London Stansted is easy, since the place is teeming with sleeping people. The problem will be finding a bare spot of tile.
Gatwick was tougher. I moved from two different sleeping spots before I found a crowd sleeping outside of the shops. Then I slept like a baby.
I never did find a crowd at Heathrow. And I slept horribly.
4. Bring fruit and nuts. Airport stores close early and you will be hungry.
5. If you are in the Wolverhampton railway station at 2 in the morning and the next train to Aberstwyth doesn't leave till 6:35 am and it is bitterly cold, the best place to sleep is in one of the the elevators. They are outside the locked building and even though they aren't heated, you won't feel the wind. I read all of Louis Theroux's The Call of the Weird in that elevator. I didn't sleep till I got on the train the next morning. It was a pleasant night.
Monday, 20 April 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Very practical. Thank you. I look forward to continuing to live vicariously through you regarding airport sleeping.
Question: Didn't people look at you wierd everytime they entered the elevator? Did you have to stand up for them? Going up and down, did you get sick all night?
I like that you leave books for other travelers. But I will admit, if I found a lone book no a bench...I would assume that someone forgot it. By accident. And would either leave it there for their return, or take it to lost and found. Kind of sad.
Nobody came into the elevator for the four hours I was trying to sleep. The train station was closed (it wasn't a huge area - Wolverhampton is Gresham to Birmingham's Portland). And there were only three other people wandering about, and they were already sleeping on benches. (They were better dressed than I was for the weather. I had on a hoodie, a sweater and a t-shirt.)
As for leaving books on benches, I put a post-it note on them saying, Free book, please take. I don't want to lug it around.
burberry outlet, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, burberry outlet, coach outlet store online, christian louboutin, louis vuitton outlet stores, tory burch outlet, louboutin shoes, longchamp outlet, air max, coach purses, polo ralph lauren, oakley sunglasses cheap, louis vuitton handbags, nike free, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, coach factory outlet, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, air max, michael kors outlet, ray ban sunglasses, true religion jeans, tiffany and co, chanel handbags, tiffany and co, longchamp handbags, michael kors outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, kate spade outlet, louboutin outlet, louboutin, true religion jeans, coach outlet, kate spade handbags, michael kors outlet online sale, louis vuitton outlet, jordan shoes, nike shoes, longchamp handbags, louis vuitton, gucci outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet
ugg boots, ugg boots, north face outlet, nfl jerseys, uggs, canada goose, p90x, mont blanc, ugg, ghd, lululemon outlet, soccer shoes, birkin bag, ugg pas cher, ugg boots clearance, marc jacobs, chi flat iron, babyliss pro, giuseppe zanotti, canada goose jackets, canada goose outlet, canada goose uk, beats by dre, herve leger, north face jackets, ugg australia, nike roshe run, valentino shoes, mac cosmetics, vans shoes, ferragamo shoes, reebok outlet, wedding dresses, uggs outlet, jimmy choo outlet, rolex watches, insanity workout, new balance shoes, mcm handbags, abercrombie and fitch, asics running shoes, instyler, canada goose, celine handbags, canada goose, soccer jerseys, bottega veneta
louboutin, converse shoes, ralph lauren, thomas sabo, pandora charms, moncler, rolex watches, pandora charms, louis vuitton, canada goose, moncler, juicy couture outlet, moncler, air max, parajumpers, ugg, juicy couture outlet, links of london, ray ban, montre homme, timberland boots, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, moncler outlet, ugg, converse, canada goose, moncler, hollister, hollister, supra shoes, pandora jewelry, oakley, swarovski crystal, baseball bats, karen millen, iphone 6 cases, moncler, hollister clothing store, air max, gucci, swarovski, moncler, vans, toms shoes, lancel
Post a Comment